Convert an Item from one Template to another.
If you're working on an Item and realize it should really be a different type of Item, you can easily convert it into that type.
What happens when an Item is converted?
- The Item will be transitioned into the New status.
- Any dates that no longer apply will be removed.
- Any Resolution details that were already entered will be lost.
- If the new Template does not support the nested Items, they will be unnested.
- Its title, comments, file, and links will be unchanged.
- Attributes that exist on both the old Template and the new Template will carry over.
- When applicable, you can specify which information is copied into which fields on the new type's template - see below for more information
PRO TIP: You also have the ability to limit which type of Templates you can Convert your Templates into. Reach out to your Customer Experience Lead for more information.
Who can convert an Item?
To convert an Item, you must have permission to view and edit it.
Only the following people can view an Item:
- Anyone on the Item's Team.
- Potentially anyone on the parent's Team.
- If the Item is not private and not in the New status, anyone with the "View" permission for Items in its Location(s).
- If the Item is private, anyone with the "View Private" permission for Items in its Location(s).
- If the Item is in the New status and is not private, anyone with the "View New" permission for Items in its Location(s).
Only the following people can edit an Item:
- Anyone on the Item's Team except for Followers or Participants.
- Anyone with the "Edit" permission for Items in this Location(s).
- Anyone with the "Assign" permission for Items in this Location(s).
For more information on Team Roles (like Authors, Facilitators, Participants, and more!) check out this article.
Convert an Item
Warning: You cannot convert a Completed Item. If you want to convert an Item that is in Complete Status, reopen the Item before converting.
To convert an Item, open the Item with which you want to work, then:
- Click Actions in the top right corner of the page.
- Click Convert in the resulting drop-down menu and the Item's "Convert" window will open.
- Convert to: Expand the drop-down to choose into which Template this Item should be converted. You can only convert the Item into a Template for which you have permission to create new Items.
- Once you've selected a Template, a list of each field included on the Item will appear alongside a drop-down containing a list of each field available on the new Template.
For each field, use the corresponding drop-down to specify where the data it contains should be mapped. If you map multiple fields to the same target field, all the information from each of those fields will be copied into the new field separated by a blank line.
You can only map a field to a field of the same type (e.g. date fields can only map to other date fields).
- The Add Current Team checkbox: When this box is checked, the current Team will remain in place on the Item. If you're converting to a Template that uses a different Team Type, the team roles may change.
- If your Item has a Custom Team Role and the Template you are converting to does not, then check out this article for information on which Team Role the Custom Team Role will convert to.
- Click Convert.