Edit Items in a List without having to open each Item first.
If you are looking at a List of Items and want to make quick edits without opening each Item individually, try editing the Items directly from your List view. Editing Items without opening them first is available on any Item List in KaiNexus, including:
- Lists within the Items section
- Item List Cards on a Board
- Nested Item List panels on any Item
- The direct-click method is great for making changes to most elements of an Item, but it requires that the column with which you want to work has been added to the List. It is also only available in List View, Tree View, or Gantt View.
- The Quick Edit menu only lets you make changes to certain elements of an Item, but it doesn't require any particular columns to be present. You can also open the Quick Edit menu while using all List Views except Calendar View.
PRO TIP: If you need to make a bunch of the same type of change, consider using Bulk Change instead.
Edit Items using List columns
You can edit an Item by clicking directly on the data you want to update. To use this feature, open the List with which you're working, then:
- Hover over the data you want to edit. If you have permission to edit that data on that Item, a gray highlight will appear over it.
- Click into the gray box.
- In the resulting pop-up, you can make any changes you would like.
- When you’re finished making updates, click Save.
NOTE: To edit a component of an Item in this way, you will first need to add the relevant columns to the Item List.
As long as you have permission to edit the Item, the following fields within an Item can be updated using single Item editing:
- Originating Location(s)
- Responsible Location(s)
- Any team members
- Any Fields
- Any Attributes
- Any editable Dates
- Weighted Scores
- Comments, Updates, and Notes
- When you hover over a Comment, Update, or Note, it will highlight gray and an option to add a new post will appear.
- Click anywhere in the column to see a log of recent conversation in the Item.
- Select Add Comment, Add Update, or Add Note to leave a new entry.
Pro Tip: If the Field or Attribute you are updating has Full Panel Editing enabled, the entire Details Panel will open when you select it in the Item List, allowing you to change several details simultaneously. If you want to enable Full Panel Editing on a Template, reach out to your Customer Success Manager.
Edit Items using the Quick Edit menu
How to open the Quick Edit menu
If you are using List, Tree, or Gantt View:
- Hover over the Item you want to edit.
- An ellipsis will appear at the beginning of the row. Click the ellipsis, and the Quick Edit drop-down menu will appear.
- Right-click the Item you want to edit and the Quick Edit drop-down menu will appear.
If you are using Detail or Kanban View:
- Right-click on the Item you want to edit, and the Quick Edit drop-down menu will appear.
If the Item List is in Calendar View, then you must open the Item to edit it.
NOTE: The availability of the Quick Edit menu and the options it contains is determined by your ability to edit the selected Item.
How to use the Quick Edit menu
Once the Quick Edit menu is visible:
- Click Open in a new tab to open this Item in another tab on your current browser.
- Click Copy Link to copy a direct link to this Item to your clipboard.
- Hover over Edit Status and the drop-down will expand to show all statuses to which you can move this Item. The statuses listed are determined by your ability to edit the Item and by the Item's current status.
- Click Submit to transition the Item out of the Draft status.
- Click New to transition the Item into the New status.
- Click Active to transition the Item into the Active status.
- Click Planned to transition the Item into the Planned status.
- Click Complete to transition the Item into the Complete status.
- Click Deferred to transition the Item into the Deferred status.
- Click Edit Details to be able to edit any details of the highlighted Item, including the title, any Fields or Attributes, etc.
- Click Edit Parent to update under which Item the selected Item is nested.
- Click Edit Team to update the list of people participating in the Item and their positions.
- Hover over Edit Date and the drop-down will expand to show all the dates which you can edit.
- Click Start Date to edit the date on which work will (or did) begin on this Item.
- Click Due Date to edit the date on which work is expected to be finished.
- Click Complete Date to edit the date on which the Item was closed.
- Click Review By Date to edit the date on which the Item should be reviewed.
- Click Remind Date to edit the date on which want to get a reminder about this Item.
- Click Edit Locations to update where this Item came from or which Location is responsible for it.
- Click Add Comment to add a new comment to the Item.
- Click Archive to archive the Item.
- Click Delete to delete the Item.