The Timeline is an audit trail keeping track of every significant event that happens to an Item. It allows you to see who did what to an Item and when they did it.
An Item's Timeline is an easy way to keep track of how an Item has changed over time and who was responsible for each change. It is automatically updated whenever significant changes are made to the Item.
Every Item in KaiNexus has a visible Timeline by default, usually included on a tab called "Timeline" and/or shown on the Item's main tab.
However, your Item's Template may have been configured such that the Timeline is in a different place or not visible at all.
For help with your Item's Template configuration, reach out to your Customer Success Manager.
Timeline entries cannot be edited, but certain people can delete them.
Navigating the Timeline
- All Timeline entries are displayed in the order they occurred starting with the most recent.
- Blue dots: A blue dot indicates an entry that someone else generated since you last looked at the Item.
- If there are a lot of entries, the Timeline may only display the first few. Click Show All at the bottom of the Timeline to see them all.
Click Show Less to return to the truncated view.
- Click the magnifying glass icon in the top right corner of the Timeline panel to open the Search Timeline field.
Enter text into this field and hit enter/return or click the magnifying glass icon again to search.
Click the x icon that appears next to the magnifying glass to cancel your search.
- Hover over underlined entries to see more detailed information about the prior and current state.
- Click the expand icon to the right of any entry regarding changes to the Resolution to see more detailed information about the prior and current state.
Manage the Timeline
Who can delete a Timeline entry?
To delete a Timeline entry from an Item, you must have permission to view and edit the Item and have the "Timeline Administrator" permission.
We recommend that only certain people — typically improvement specialists and/or the implementation team — be granted the "Timeline Administrator" permission.
Only the following people can view an Item:
- Anyone on the Item's Team.
- Potentially anyone on the parent's Team.
- If the Item is not private and not in the New status, anyone with the "View" permission for Items in its Location(s).
- If the Item is private, anyone with the "View Private" permission for Items in its Location(s).
- If the Item is in the New status and is not private, anyone with the "View New" permission for Items in its Location(s).
Only the following people can edit an Item:
- Anyone on the Item's Team except for Followers or Participants.
- Anyone with the "Edit" permission for Items in this Location(s).
- For Items using the Standard Team Type, anyone with the "Assign" permission for Items in this Location(s).
For more information on Team Roles (like Authors, Facilitators, Participants, and more!) check out this article.
Delete a Timeline entry
To delete a Timeline entry, open the Item with which you want to work and located the Timeline panel. Then:
- Hover over the Timeline entry you want to delete so that it is highlighted in blue.
- Click the x icon that appears to its right and a confirmation window will open.
- Click Delete and the entry will be removed from the Item.
CAUTION: If you delete a Timeline entry, it will be removed from the Timeline with no indication that the entry was ever there. This action cannot be undone.