For those of you familiar with the Planned status in KaiNexus, Planning an item gives you options to Decide Later, choose a Specific Date or make Dependent On. We have added further enhancements to the Dependencies option.
Prior to this release, items that were dependent on another item would only be activated immediately after that item’s completion. Now, you can plan items so that they are activated immediately after, some days before, or some days after the start date or completion date of another item.
How do I plan an item with a dependency?
Open the item you want to plan, then:
- Click the status indicator.
- In the resulting drop-down menu, click .
In the resulting window, you have the option of entering a reason for planning this Improvement.
Select “Dependent On” to plan this item with a dependency.
- If you want this item to activate based on the start date of another item, select “Start Of.”
If you want this item to activate based on the completion date of another item, select “Completion Of.”
- Select the item(s) on which this item should be dependent in the “Choose the item(s) this is dependent on…” field.
- If you want this item to activate a certain number of days before the start/completion date of the selected item, enter that number in the “# of Days” field and select “Before.”
If you want this item to activate a certain number of days after the start/completion date of the selected item, enter that number in the “# of Days” field and select “After.”
If you want this item to activate immediately upon the start/completion date of the selected item, just set the “# of Days” field to 0.
- To have the item’s due date be automatically calculated and set, enter the number of days it should take to be completed in the “Days to Complete” field.
- Click .
You can see a list of every Project, Improvement, or Task this item is waiting on, as well as a list of every item waiting on it, on this Improvement’s main page.
NOTE: Reopening one of the items this item depends on after it has been activated will not revert this item into the Planned status.