The Advanced ROI module gives you more control over how the impact of your improvement methods is measured and tracked.
Reach out to your Customer Experience Lead for more information on enabling this module.
You can give visibility into the potential versus actual ROI so that your organization can ultimately get better at forecasting results with the Advanced ROI Add-On.
You can set impact and investment targets for improvement, record changing forecasts throughout implementation, and compare predictions with actual results.
Reach out to your Customer Experience Lead to take advantage of this new feature.
How does it work?
Your Customer Experience Lead can turn on the Target ROI and Forecast ROI options for any template - as long as that template has the Resolution section enabled in general.
With these additional options, your team can create up to three different Resolutions:
- Actual Resolution - This data shows the actual impact of the item
- Forecast Resolution - This data shows the outcome that your team is on track to reach with their work on this item
- Target Resolution - This data shows the outcome that your team hopes to reach with their work on this item
All the information that could be added to the Actual Resolution can be added to either the Forecast and/or Target Resolution so that all three Resolutions are completely comprehensive.
The information added to any of these Resolutions will be displayed in the item’s “Resolution” section.
Filtering by Resolution
There are two filters which can be narrowed by the type of Resolution:
When filtering a list of items by either of these criteria, a “Type” field will be added beneath the filter rule. In this field, add:
- “Actual” to return a list of items with the chosen impacts or currencies in the Actual Resolution.
- “Forecast” to return a list of items with the chosen impacts or currencies in the Forecast Resolution.
- “Target” to return a list of items with the chosen impacts or currencies in the Target Resolution.
Add Impact and Investment columns to lists of items
When working with a list of items or a Card in the List or Tree Views, you can add the following Impact and Investment columns:
- Financial Impact - Actual: This column includes the total financial impact included in each item’s Actual Resolution.
- Financial Impact - Forecast: This column includes the total financial impact included in each item’s Forecast Resolution.
- Financial Impact - Target: This column includes the total financial impact included in each item’s Target Resolution.
- Financial Investment - Actual: This column includes the total financial investment included in each item’s Actual Resolution.
- Financial Investment - Forecast: This column includes the total financial investment included in each item’s Forecast Resolution.
- Financial Investment - Target: This column includes the total financial investment included in each item’s Target Resolution.
Impact Credit Splitting & Allocation
With Impact Credit Splitting & Allocation, the Advanced ROI Add-On makes it easier to recognize the impact of individual users on improvement work and track whether people are meeting their individual contribution impact targets by assigning quantitative impact with more granularity.
Impact Credit Splitting can be turned on - as either an optional or required element - for any template that has a Resolution enabled.
Reach out to your Customer Experience Lead to take advantage of this feature.
When you resolve an item that has Credit Splitting enabled, you’ll be able to split the credit for the recorded impact between various users.
So if one person should get 75% of the credit and someone else deserves 25% of the credit, that breakdown can be permanently stored in KaiNexus and taken into account on key Reports.
Credit Splitting Impact and Reports
Credit Splitting comes into play in two reporting areas - a user’s Metrics (accessible from the user’s profile) and the User Impact Report.
By default, both these Reports show the total financial impact of all items with which a user was associated, regardless of credit splitting.
If you check the box next to “Show Credit,” however, the Reports will show only the financial impact with which the user was specifically credited. That means:
- If a person worked on a financially impactful Improvement with split credit but was not assigned any credit, the impact of that Improvement will not appear on this version of the Report.
- If a person worked on a financially impactful Improvement and credit was not split at all, the impact of that Improvement will not appear on this version of the Report.
If your organization is spread across multiple countries, you likely have employees using multiple currencies. If you want them to be able to report financial impacts using their own currencies, you can add those currencies to KaiNexus.
Reach out to your Customer Experience Lead to add additional currencies.
What information is needed to add a new currency to KaiNexus?
You'll need to supply your Customer Experience Lead with:
- The name of the currency (e.g. U.S. Dollar).
- The currency’s code (e.g. USD).
This is the code that will appear whenever people are asked to choose which currency they want to use, such as when resolving an Improvement with a financial impact or when looking at a Report.
- The currency’s symbol (e.g. $) and whether it should precede or follow numerical values (e.g. $100 or 50.00 SFr).
This code will appear wherever there’s financial data.
- The Locations which will use this currency as their default.
The choice will cascade down to any Locations below the selected Location. People in those Locations will always have a choice between currencies when reporting an Improvement’s impact or when viewing a Report.
Where will these new currencies appear in KaiNexus?
Anywhere involving financial data! If your organization has multiple currencies, a currency picker will be added to:
- Quantitative (financial) Impact Types
People will be asked in which currency their impact should be recorded. Their Location’s default currency will be selected for them, but they’re free to change that currency if necessary.
A “Currency” filter will be added when filtering a list of items. Only items with a financial impact reported in the selected currencies will be returned.
- Impact Summaries
Only financial data reported in that currency will be displayed under the “Savings” and “Revenue” headings on the Summary. Additionally, only soft savings reported in that currency will be displayed when you hover over the hours displayed under the “Time Saved” heading.
The horizontal bars will still show the total number of Improvements resulting in each Impact Type, regardless of currency.
- The Reports Snapshot
The “Financial Impact” section will only display the financial impact of Improvements reported in the chosen currency. Additionally, the soft savings under the “Time Saved” section will only include those Improvements as well. All other fields will include the impact of all Improvements, regardless of the chosen currency.
Products & Resources
You can add two additional Impact Types with this Add-On - Products and Resources.
An impact concerning Products will be reported as part of Revenue Generation, while an impact concerning Resources will be reported as part of Cost Savings.
Reach out to your Customer Experience lead to add Product and Resources Impact Types.
Customize Products & Resources
Once these Types are activated, Quality Administrators can customize them just like they can their organization's list of Time Savings People.
The following instructions detail the steps for working with Products, but the same steps apply for working with Resources.
Create a new Product
Navigate to the "Products" admin page - this page is listed under the "Organization" heading in the admin section.
If you want to create a new Product and have it automatically place in a folder, first click the folder's name so that it is highlighted blue. If you don't want it automatically nested, do not click a folder's name.
- Click in the top right corner of the page.
- In the resulting drop-down menu, click .
In the resulting window:
- Enter the name of the Product.
- (**Optional**) Add a description. This description will appear when you hover over this Product when resolving an Improvement.
- (**Optional**) We recommend that you enter the hourly rate for this Product.
- If your organization has multiple currencies, you’ll be asked to enter the currency that should be used as the default for this Product.
- If you want this Product to be the default type, check the box next to “Default.” If you do so, when someone records that their Improvement had a Product impact, this type of Product will be filled in by default, although the user can change it to another type of Product if necessary.
- You can configure how many hours per day, days per week, and weeks per year this Product should be counted.
- Click to create this Product.
Edit a Product
Navigate to the "Products" admin page.
- Hover over the Product you want to edit so that it is highlighted blue.
- Click to the right of the Product.
In the resulting window, edit the Product's information as describde above.
Delete a Product
Navigate to the "Products" admin page.
- Hover over the Product you want to delete so that it is highlighted blue.
- Click to the right of the Product.
- In the resulting window, click . The deleted Product will be removed from all Improvement Resolutions.
Quantitative Impact Types
When resolving an Improvement that resulted in a change, you can choose between the various Impact Types created by your organization.
These quantitative Impact Types - Cost, Revenue, Time Savings, Product, and Resource - can be configured to give the person resolving an Improvement more control when recording money saved and generated.
The standard software allows users to choose between one-time, recurring, and unknown metrics. This module provides two additional options: range and custom.
Reach out to your Customer Experience lead to take advantage of this feature.
The amount entered will be applied toward your organization’s metrics once a month over the entered date range. This is best for items which resulted in a constant amount that is expected to be saved or generated over a set time frame, rather than indefinitely.
The amount entered under each month will be applied once per that year. This is best for items which resulted in inconstant financial savings or revenue generation. You’re not required to enter a value in every month in a year.
Impact Splitting and Allocation
With help from your Customer Experience Lead, you can add Impact Splitting to any of your Impact Types - such as Cost Saving or Safety - so that you can be more specific as to which Locations were impacted in what way by a certain Improvement.
How can Impact Splitting be customized?
Each Impact Type can be customized independently of the others, and those changes will be reflected on each template using that Type.
An Impact Type can be customized to:
- Hide Impact Splitting completely.
- Make Impact Splitting required whenever that Impact Type is recorded.
- Make Impact Splitting optional whenever that Impact Type is recorded.
How do I allocate the impact when resolving an Improvement?
When resolving an Improvement:
- Check the box next to the Impact Type you want to add and click .
- In the resulting window, record the impact as you normally would.
If this Impact Type has Impact Splitting enabled, an “Impact Location” field will be present. Enter the Location to which you want to allocate this impact.
NOTE: By default, this field will be filled in with the Location(s) of the person resolving the Improvement.
Can I filter by Location impacted?
Yes! Now, when filtering a list by Location, you’ll be able to choose between “Responsible,” “Originating,” and “Impact.” All items with at least one Impact Type allocated to that Location will be returned.
Will my Reports look different?
The Location Impact Board will now have three options - “Originating,” “Responsible,” and “Impact.”
Selecting “Impact” will return only data associated with Improvements that had some impact allocated to them.
Investment on an Improvement
If you invested finance, time, or resources when implementing an Improvement, you may want to indicate that on the Improvement itself.
To create Investment Types and add them to any of your templates, reach out to your Customer Experience Lead.
How can it be customized?
Each Investment Type can be customized independently of the others, and those changes will be reflected on each template using that Type.
An Investment Type can be customized in the following ways:
- It must have a name and can optionally have a description that can be seen by hovering over its name when Resolving an Improvement.
- You can pick between three categories - Financial, Time, and Resource.
- You can include Location Splitting, making it required or optional.
- You can include as many Attributes as you need.
How do you do it?
When resolving an Improvement, fill out the impact section as you normally would, then:
- Open the “Investment” section, if it is closed.
- Check the box next to the Investment Type you want to add, then click .
- In the resulting window, record the investment.
- If you’re recording a Financial Investment, decide if/how the investment recurs, enter the amount spent, explain how you based that calculation, fill out any Attributes if any are listed, and select an Investment Location if that option is available for this Investment Type.
- If you’re recording a Time Investment, select what kind of person’s time was used and how many of them, decide if/how the investment recurs, enter the amount of time spent, explain how you based that calculation, fill out any Attributes if any are listed, and select an Investment Location if that option is available for this Investment Type.
- If you’re recording a Resource Investment, select which resource was used, decide decide if/how the investment recurs, enter the amount of resource that was spent, explain how you based that calculation, fill out any Attributes if any are listed, and select an Investment Location if that option is available for this Investment Type.
- Click to record the investment.