When planning an Improvement, you can choose whether to decide if it should start later or on a specific date. We have added a third option - you can now decide to have it be dependent on the completion of another Project, Improvement, or Task.
Who can plan an Improvement?
- The Assigner
- Anyone with the "View New & Assign" permission for Improvements in that Location
- If the Improvement is nested under a Project, the Project's Facilitators, Leaders, and/or Sponsors; if the Improvement is nested under a Chart, the Chart's Authors
How do I plan an Improvement?
Open the Improvement you want to plan, then:
- Click the status indicator
- In the resulting drop-down menu, click "Plan"
In the resulting window, you have the option of entering a reason for planning this Improvement.
Then click either:
- Decide Later, if you don’t want to enter the start date at this time. You can update the item with a start date later, or manually activate it when the time comes
- Specific Date, if you already know when it should begin and who should be involved
- Dependent On, if you want this item to be activated automatically upon another item's start/completion
- You have the option of entering the name of the Responsible Person in the “Responsible” field and the due date in the “Due Date” field
- If you choose a Responsible Person, you must enter a due date, and you may update the rest of the team in the corresponding fields
This item will either need to be given a start date at a later time or be manually activated at the right time.
- Enter the date on which the Improvement should activate in the "Start Date" field
- Enter the date on which the Improvement should be due in the "Due Date" field
- Enter the name of the Responsible Person in the “Responsible” field
This item will automatically be activated on the start date.
- If you want this item to activate based on the start date of another item, select “Start Of.”
If you want this item to activate based on the completion date of another item, select “Completion Of.”
- Select the item(s) on which this item should be dependent in the “Choose the item(s) this is dependent on…” field
- If you want this item to activate a certain number of days before the start/completion date of the selected item, enter that number in the “# of Days” field and select “Before.”
If you want this item to activate a certain number of days after the start/completion date of the selected item, enter that number in the “# of Days” field and select “After.”
If you want this item to activate immediately upon the start/completion date of the selected item, set the “# of Days” field to 0.
- Enter the number of days it should take to be completed in the “Days to Complete” field. This will be used to calculate the Improvement's due date
You can see a list of every item this Improvement is dependent on, as well as a list of every item that is dependent on the Improvement, on the Improvement’s main page.
NOTE: Reopening one of the items this Improvement depends on after it has been activated will not revert this Improvement into the Planned status.