With the Milestones module, you can create a configurable workflow that you can overlay on top of any of your templates. We call each element of this workflow a milestone.
Reach out to your Customer Experience Lead for more information on enabling this module.
Create new milestones
You can create milestones that accurately reflect your organization’s improvement process. For example, you might want to add milestones such as:
- Finance Approval
- Leadership Approval
- Committee Approval
Add a description to the milestone to have extra information describing its purpose and requirements appear when hovering over it on an item's page.
Reach out to your Customer Success Lead to create new milestones.
Add milestones to your templates
You can add milestones to any item template. You can specify the:
- Order: Decide in what order the milestones should be listed. Multiple milestones can be listed in the same position if they both need to be completed before work can continue.
- Approver Roles: Specify the Roles a person needs to have to be able to approve the milestone.
- Default Answer: When the prerequisites for the milestone have been met, the milestone will be listed as either “Ready” or “Approved” - specify which setting is appropriate.
If the milestone is “Ready,” it must be approved by someone with the appropriate Role.
If the milestone is “Approved” it is automatically approved; it can be unapproved by someone with the appropriate Role if necessary.
- Ready Actions: Once the ready action(s) are fulfilled, the default answer will be applied to the milestone. Ready actions include:
- Person - There will be a “ready for approval” button listed in the milestones section of the item. Only people who can edit the item can see and click this button.
You can specify if you want the "ready for approval" button displayed in the Resolution - the approval button will be listed in the Resolution section, as well as the milestone section.
You can also decide if you want to allow that approval at any time - the approval button will appear even if earlier milestones have not been approved.
If, after the “ready for approval” button is clicked you change your mind, you can click the “not ready for approval” button that replaced it. If the milestone has already been approved, you will need it to be unapproved before this button will reappear.
- Status change - The milestone will be ready for approval once the item moves into a specific status.
- Previous milestone approval - The milestone will be ready for approval once all previous milestones have been approved.
- Unset Actions: If a milestone has already been approved, these actions will make it unapproved again. If that milestone relies on a person's ready action it will be listed as “Not ready;” if it is not person-actionable, it will be listed as “Ready.”
When a milestone is unapproved, all following milestones are unapproved as well.
Unset actions include:
- Result/Impact Change - With this setting, any changes to the Resolution will result in the milestone being unapproved.
- Detail Change - With this setting, any changes to a field or attribute (from the edit window or from the Resolution window) will result in the milestone being unapproved.
- Reopen - With this setting, reopening a closed Improvement will result in the milestone being unapproved.
- Blocked Status: These are statuses that the milestone blocks until it is approved.
Reach out to your Customer Success lead to add or edit which milestones are included on your templates.
Working with milestones
The milestones section of an item is displayed under the “details” section. If you do not see a milestone section, that template does not have any milestones.
What do the different colors and icons of milestones mean?
- - Gray text indicates that the milestone is not ready for approval.
- - Blue text indicates that the milestone is ready for approval.
- - Red text indicates that the milestone has been marked as “Not Approved.”
- - Green text indicates that the milestone has been approved. Any previously blocked status changes will now be available.
- or - An exclamation point indicates that the milestone blocks certain status changes until it’s approved. Hover over the exclamation point (not the text) to see which statuses are blocked.
Why isn’t this milestone ready for approval?
When your organization added milestones to a template, each milestone was assigned certain actions that must be completed before it is ready for approval. These actions may include:
- Certain status changes
- The approval of all previous milestones
- A person indicates the milestone is ready for approval.
NOTE: Only people who can edit the specific item can give this indication.
If the milestone requires a person to indicate it’s ready for approval, people who can edit the item will see a blue button displayed below the milestone. It will look something like this: .
Click that button and, if all other prerequisites for the milestone have been met, its text will turn blue and it will be ready for approval.
Who can approve a milestone?
This was also specified when your organization added milestones to the template. Certain Roles are required to approve a milestone, and only people with those Roles will be able to do so.
I meet the requirements to approve a milestone. How do I do it?
If you have permission to approve one or more milestones on an item, you’ll see the pencil icon - - next to the list of milestones. Click that icon to open the milestones window.
Milestones that you have permission to approve, unapprove, or mark as "not approved" are displayed in black text. Those that you cannot edit or that are not ready for approval are displayed in light gray text.
Hover over the info icon - - next to a milestone to reveal more information about that milestone, as entered by your organization. If you don’t see that icon, no additional information is available.
Check the “approved” box under a milestone to approve it; check the “not approved” box under a milestone to indicate that it has been reviewed and is not approved. Enter a note if you want to provide more detail, then:
- Check the box next to “Email Note(s) Now” and enter the appropriate names to immediately email your note to the right people.
- Check the box next to “Do Not Notify” to stop notifications (flags, emails, etc.) from being sent out.
Finally, click .
NOTE: If you’re working with the milestones of an already completed Improvement, you have the option to reopen it from the milestones approval screen by clicking .
Filter a list of items by milestones
Anywhere you can see a list of items, you have the ability to filter that list.This module adds a new option for filtering by milestones - the "Milestone" filter.
Pick any combination of milestones using that filter and a new field will appear in which you can enter the status you want that milestone to be in - choose between “Not Ready for Approval,” “Ready for Approval,” "Not Approved," and “Approved.”