There are five main reasons why a person might get an email from KaiNexus:
- Digest: Every Full Access user gets a digest email at least once a week. This email will contain all the important updates made to your items since your last digest was sent.
NOTE: If no updates have been made to any of the items for which you're a member of the team, you will not receive a digest email.
- Subscriptions: If you have subscribed to a custom list or to a Board - or someone else has subscribed you to a Board - you will get a subscription email at least once a week containing information about and links to that list or Board.
- Association-Based: You have an association with Improvement or a Project and a key action occurs on that item. The vast majority of the time you will be notified of this via the digest. For some items that are more time-sensitive, you will be notified via a separate email.
- Opt-In: One of your Roles contains opt-in notification preference OR you have set up custom opt-in notification preferences. Opt-in notifications are used to control the flow of information occurring in the system and highlight bottlenecks.
- User Elected: One of your colleagues has elected to notify you of something in KaiNexus. For example:
- They selected the "Email Now" option when they entered a comment.
NOTE: In this case, you can respond to this comment via email so that you don't have to take the time to log into the system.
- They elected to notify you of a Project or Improvement.
Each of your Roles may come with default notification preferences set by your organization, but if you want more control over which notifications you receive and when you receive them, you might want to create custom notification preferences.
How do I customize my notification preferences?
- Click your name in the top right corner.
- In the resulting drop-down menu, click .
- Click in the top right corner of the resulting window.
- Click .
In the resulting window, you'll be able to configure your digest and you opt-in notification preferences.
Under the "Email Settings" tab, you can configure on which days you should receive your digest and subscription emails, or, if you are a User Administrator, you can turn off all emails for your account.
- Control the days on which you want to receive your digest by checking the boxes next to those days under "Which days do you want to receive a digest?" You must have at least one day selected.
- Control the days on which you want to receive your subscription email by checking the boxes next to those days under "Which days do you want to receive your subscriptions?" You must have at least one day selected.
- Control at what time - and in which time zone - processing should begin on your digest and subscription emails under the "What time (and time zone) do you want to receive your Digest/Subscriptions?" You will typically receive these emails within an hour of your processing start time.
Leave these fields blank to keep to your organization's default.
- User Administrators can toggle emails on and off for their account. If you turn off your emails, all notification based emails will be discarded; account support and password reset emails will still be sent as usual.
To configure your opt-in notification settings, open the "Opt-In" tab.
There are a few ways you can go about customizing your preferences:
- Click to create a new notification preference. (See below for more details)
- Click to clear the list of preferences. This is useful if you want to start from scratch.
- Click to return your list of preferences to the default as defined by your Roles' settings.
- Edit any preference by clicking next to it. You have the same options when editing a preference as you do when creating one, so the instructions below can be applied here as well.
- Delete a preference entirely by clicking next to it.
To configure a New Notification Preference:
You will first be prompted to choose what type of Item you want to be notified about. Choose between All Workflows, Improvement, Project, Task, Chart, or Incident (only available if the Incident Add-On is enabled for your organization).
Once you've chosen a workflow, a new optional field will appear directly below the "Type" field. Use this field to specify what template types you want to be notified about. By default, this will include all template types of the specified workflow. If you want to be notified about every item in this workflow that meets the rest of this preference, leave this field blank.
If you only want to be notified about items with certain templates, fill in this field.
Click the field to open a drop-down menu of all your organization's templates in that workflow. Select as many as you would like to have included in this notification preference.
You will then be prompted to choose an activity for the specified Item types. For example, you can choose to be notified when Improvements are submitted as New, when they become Overdue, when they become Active, etc.
Check the box next to "Include Project Based Items" to include Items that are nested under a Project. Leave this box unchecked to only include Stand-Alone Items.
Check the box next to "Require Edit Permission" to only include Items that you have permission to edit. Leave this box unchecked to be notified about all Items that meet the other specifications.
You will next be prompted to choose the Location parameters for this notification preference. Your options are:
- Anywhere - Get notified about Items in every Location of the organization. This is best for Process Improvement or other Leaders who need to hear about all Items made in the organization, not just ones in certain Locations.
- User’s Location & Below - Get notified about Items in your Location(s), as well as the Locations under it in the Network. This is best for users who lead a department or division made up of several sub-levels, who need to be informed about all work done in each tier of their Location.
- User’s Location Only - Get notified only about work done in your own Location(s). This is often used in cases where you lead a group or team that has sub-levels in the Network, but you only want to be notified about the work done at your particular Location.
- Specific Location - You can choose to be notified about any Location in which you do not reside. Enter the name of the Location and select either “This Location & Below” or “This Location Only.” These settings follow the same rules as detailed above.
Next, you will be prompted to decide when you want to be notified.
NOTE: You will only be prompted for this information if you entered "New," "Overdue," and "Resolution Submitted" statuses in the "Activity" field.
- Immediately - You will be notified that day.
- Delayed - You will be notified after a set number of days. Once you choose "Delayed," a new "After __ Day(s)" field will appear. Enter the number of days by which you want the notification to be delayed in that field.
- Check the box next to "Remind each week" to be notified about this event every week until it is addressed. This helps keep information from falling through the cracks.
You'll then be prompted to decide how you want to be notified. Your options are:
- Alert Only - An alert is added to the Item, marking it for your attention. This alert will also be added to your notification window in KaiNexus.
- Alert + Email - An alert is added to the Item and your notification window, and you will receive an email about it as well.
The last setting you might need to enter is the Specific Outcomes from completed Items.
NOTE: You'll only see this area if your notification preference has "Completed" selected under the "Activity" field.
A third drop-down will appear under "Type" field. Click into the drop-down and select "Specific Outcomes" to view all the additional outcomes you can be notified about. Check the box next to every outcome of an Item about which you want to be notified.
- Impact Types - Choose which impact types you want to be informed about. These are the types of change an Item might have resulted in.
- No Change Reasons - Choose which "No Change" reasons you want to be informed about. These are the possible reasons for why an Item didn't result in a change.
- Third Option Reasons (this terminology will vary based on your organization's preferences) - Choose which "Third Option" reasons you want to be informed about. These are the outcomes of Items that didn't result in a change but didn't quite result in a typical "No change" either.
NOTE: If your organization doesn't have any "Third Option" reasons in place, you will not see this category.
To configure a Notification Preference based on Milestones:
NOTE: Only organizations with the Milestones module enabled will be able to take advantage of this feature.
You can configure customized notification preferences that can notify you based on certain actions with Milestones.
- Within the "Opt-In" tab, click to create a new notification preference.
- In the "Type" drop-down menu, select which type of workflow(s) that the milestones are on in which you would like to be notified about.
- Underneath the "Type" drop-down, another drop-down will appear where you can specify the template types that your Milestones are on.
- In the "Activity" drop-down menu, select between the following options for what Milestone action you would like to be notified about:
- "Milestone Ready" -- when a Milestone becomes Ready for Approval.
- "Milestone Approve" -- when a Milestone becomes Approved.
- "Milestone Un-Approve" -- when a Milestone becomes declined or un-approved.
- "Milestone Added" -- when an optional Milestone is added to the template.
- "Milestone Removed" -- when an optional Milestone is removed from the template.
- Underneath the "Activity" drop-down, another drop-down will appear where you can specify which Milestone you want to be notified about.
- Check the box next to "Include Project Based Items" to include the Milestones on Items that are nested within Projects.
- Check the box next to "Require Edit Permission" to only include the Milestones on Items that the User has permission to edit.
- In the "Location" drop-down menu, select the Locations so that only the Milestones on Items within the selected Locations will be included in the notification.
- In the "How" drop-down menu, select either "Alert Only" or "Alert + Email" to decide how you want to receive this notification preference about the Milestones.
When using Milestones with configured Deadlines, you can receive customized notifications for those as well.
- Using the steps described above:
- In the "Activity" drop-down menu, select between the additionals options for what Milestone action you would like to be notified about:
- "Milestone Ready Deadline Passed" -- when the deadline passes to make a Milestone "Ready for Approval".
- "Milestone Approval Deadline Passed" -- when the deadline passes to "Approve" a Milestone.