To get to this page, navigate to the Admin page by clicking on the left sidebar menu, look under Users, and click on Users. This admin page is only accessible by administrators; only User Administrators can perform the functions detailed on this support page.
There are four main reasons why a person might get an email from KaiNexus:
Every active user gets a digest email at least once a week, as long as changes have been made to a Project, Improvement, or Task with which they're involved. This email will contain all the important updates made to your items since your last digest was sent.
You have an association with Improvement or a Project and an action occurred on that item. The vast majority of the time you will be notified of this via the digest. For some items that are more time sensitive, you will be notified via an email.
Either your own notification settings or those of one of your Roles contain opt-in preferences. When an event happens in the system that matches one of your preferences, you'll receive an email (or just an alert, depending on your settings).
- User Elected
One of your colleagues has elected to notify you of something in KaiNexus such as if:
To learn about customizing your digest and opt-in notification preferences, check out this support page.
If the user is a leader in the system you may want to set up opt-in notification preferences so that they will be notified of other work going on in the system with which they are not associated.
For example, many leaders like to be notified when there are new Improvements in their location so that they can assign them. Many also prefer to be notified about overdue Improvements in their area so that they can coach the people responsible for their completion.
- Find the user whose notification settings you wish to change on the list of users.
- Hover over the user’s name so that it is highlighted blue and click .
- A user’s default notification preferences are those assigned to their Role, but you have the option to customize them by clicking .
Return to the default settings by clicking .
- On the custom tab, click to create a new notification preference.
- Click to copy all of the default notification preferences (derived from the user's Roles' settings) into the custom preferences page. This is useful if you only want to make a few small changes to the default settings.
- Click to clear the list of customized preferences so that you can start over from scratch.
- Edit any preference by clicking next to it. You have the same options when editing a preference as when creating one, so the instructions below can be applied here as well.
- Delete an individual preference entirely by clicking .
- The digest is an email that details all activity that has gone on with your Improvement work since your last digest. It keeps you in the loop without flooding you with immediate emails.
Control when you want to receive the digest by checking the boxes next to those days at the bottom of the window. You must have at least one day selected.
Creating a new notification preference
- You will first be prompted to choose a type - Improvement, Task, or Project - about which you would like to be informed.
- Then choose a status you would like to be notified about. For example, you can choose to be notified about Improvements that become Overdue.
- Check to include Improvements or Projects that are nested under Projects. Uncheck this box to only include stand-alone Projects.
Pro Tip: Often, people choose to leave this box unchecked since they aren't responsible for these ideas; Facilitators are responsible for the ideas that are part of their Projects.
- Anywhere - The user will be notified about Improvements in every part of the organization. This is best for executives or other leaders who need to hear about all Improvements made in the organization, not just ones in certain locations.
- User’s Location & Below - The user will be notified about Improvements in the user’s location, as well as the locations under them. This is best for people who lead a department or division made up of several sub-levels, who need to be informed about all work done in each tier of their location.
- User’s Location Only - The user will be notified only about work done in the user’s specific location. This is best for people who lead a work group or team that does not have any sub-levels, who only need to be informed about the Improvements from their own unit.
- Specific Location - The user will be notified only about work done in some location with which they are otherwise not affiliated. Enter the name of the location then select either “This location & Below” or “This Location Only.”
NOTE: You'll only be asked about when the user should be notified if you choose New, Active, Overdue, and Resolution Submitted as the status.
- Immediately - The user will be notified right away.
- Delayed - The user will be notified after a set number of days.
Pro Tip: Some leaders use this delay feature to make themselves a backup to the people who actually need to act on these Improvements and Projects. For example, if a leader asks to be notified about new Improvements after a 7-day delay, they've given the person who needs to assign it a week to act.
If they haven't assigned the Improvements by then, the leader is notified and can provide coaching or a reminder of the importance of a quick response.
- Check to be notified about this event every week until it is addressed. This keeps information from falling through the cracks.
- Alert Only - An alert is added to the Improvement, marking it for the user's attention. The alert will also appear in their Notifications Screen.
- Alert + Email - An alert is added to the Improvement and the user's Notifications Screen and they will receive an email containing information about this event.
NOTE: The only status for which you will be given advanced options is Completed Improvements.
- Impact Types - Choose about which impact types you want to be informed.
- No Change Reasons - Choose about which No Change reasons you want to be informed.
- Third Option Reasons (this terminology will vary based on your organization's preferences) - Choose which Third Option reasons you want to be informed about.