If you're working on a Task and realize it should really be a different type of Task or even a Project, Improvement, or, if the Incident Add-On is enabled for your organization, an Incident, you can easily convert it into that type.
What happens when I convert a Task?
- Its status will be changed to “New.”
- The title, comments, files, and links will be unchanged.
- When applicable, you can specify which information is copied into which fields on the new type's template - see below for more information.
- Any dates that no longer apply will be removed.
- If you’re converting the Task into a Project type, you will be given the option of making the existing team Participants. If you're converting it into an Improvement type, you will be given the option of making the existing team Collaborators.
- You become the Author (if you’re converting it to an Improvement) or the Facilitator (if you’re converting it to a Project).
- If an Attribute exists on both the original and the new type, the entered value will be carried over. Otherwise, it will be discarded.
Who can convert a Task?
- The Author
- The Assigner
- The Responsible Person
- Any Collaborators
- Anyone with the ability to assign or edit the parent of the Task
How do I convert a Task?
Open the Task you want to convert, then:
- Click in the top right corner of the page.
- Click in the resulting drop-down menu.
In the resulting window:
- Enter the new type to which you want to convert this Task in the "Convert To" field. NOTE: You must have permission to create that type.
- Under the "Select how you would like to map the fields" heading, you'll see a list of each of the fields on included on this Task type's template.
Alongside each field's name is a drop-down menu containing a list of each of the fields included on the new type you specified above. Pick the new field to which you want the information included in each existing field mapped.
If you map multiple fields to the same target field, all the information from each of those fields will be copied into the new field separated by a blank line.
- Click .