If an Incident needs to be broken up into smaller chunks, you can add Tasks to it. Each Task can be assigned to whoever is right for the job, and you'll be able to monitor the progress of each piece of the Incident separately instead of trying to keep track of it all at once.
Who can add Tasks to an Incident?
- The Responsible Person
- The Author(s)
- The Assigner
- Any Collaborators
- Anyone with the "Edit" or "Assign" permissions for Incidents in that Location
How do I add Tasks to an Incident?
Open the Incident to which you want to add a Task, then:
- Click in the top right corner of the page.
- Click in the resulting drop-down menu.
In the resulting window:
- If you want to create a new Task from scratch, click . If your organization has configured multiple types of Tasks, you'll be prompted to pick which template you want to use. In the resulting window:
- Depending on the type of Task, you'll be prompted to fill out various optional or required fields and Attributes. You will be required to enter a short summary of the Task - this field is often called the “Title,” but that may have been customized by your organization.
- Once you’ve entered the title, a blue badge will appear next to the magnifying glass if there are any Tasks, Projects, or Incidents with a similar title. It will look something like this: . The number displayed on that badge correlates to the number of similar items.
- Hover over the magnifying glass icon to see a list of the titles of those similar items or click the icon to open a more detailed list.
- The "Parent" field will automatically be filled in with the name of the Incident under which you're nesting this Task. Don't alter this field unless you want the Task nested somewhere else.
- Click "Team" to see the team fields.
- If you're entering this Task on behalf of someone else, enter their name in the "Author(s)" field. A Task can have multiple authors.
- (**Optional**) Enter the name of the person to whom you want to assign the Task in the "Responsible Person" field.
The general rule is that you canassign a Task to anyone to whom you can assign an Incident . That person will be notified that you have assigned them a Task. You can request the help of anyone in your organization. That person will be notified that you have requested their help and will be prompted to accept or decline your request. If they decline, they will have to give a reason why.
If you assign or request someone’s help with the Task, you’ll be prompted to:
- Enter a start date.
- Enter a due date.
- (**Optional**) Enter a comment.
- If you want someone else to be recorded as the Assigner of this Task, enter their name in the “Assigner” field.
- Add anyone else who will be working on the Task to some capacity in the "Collaborator(s)" field
- Add any other people you think need to stay informed about the Task in the "Followers" field.
- Add any attachments to the Task. You can:
- Drag and drop the file you want to add onto the "Create" window, or
- Click and pick the file you want to attach in the resulting window.
- Add any links to the Task by clicking . In the resulting window, enter what you want the link to be called in the "Name" field and the address to the link in the "Address" field.
- Click .
- If you want to add an existing stand-alone Task, search for it by name or ID number in the "Choose Existing" drop-down menu. You can add as many Tasks as you like.
When you're finished, click .